Tree and Shrub Planting Presentation!
Monday, February 10th, 2020
Manistee County Transportation/Dial A Ride
180 Memorial Drive
Manistee, MI 49660
This 2-hour presentation, given by the Manistee Conservation District, Forestry Assistance Program
(FAP), and Plant It Wild, is designed for landowners AND professionals such as foresters, ecologists, and loggers, interested in planting trees and shrubs. Numerous topics will be discussed by Josh Shields, FAP Forester with the Manistee and Mason-Lake Conservation Districts, and Plant It Wild. Topics will include:
• matching tree and shrub species to the proper site conditions
• site preparation and planting techniques
• proper handling and care of seedlings
• containerized versus bareroot stock
• spring versus autumn planting
• protecting trees and shrubs from white-tailed deer and other animals
• the use of tree and shrub planting for timber production, wildlife habitat conversion and enhancement, planting of under-represented species, and erosion control
• tree planting experiment implemented by Josh Shields in 2015
This is a great presentation to attend to help you choose the correct trees and shrubs to purchase from the conservation district tree sale!
For this event, we have applied for the Society of American Foresters continuing education credit and Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) Phase 1 education credit.
There is no cost for attending this event. Snacks will be provided free of charge.
A suggested minimum donation of $10/person is requested at the door to help offset costs of the event.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 5th, 2020. For more information or to register, contact Josh Shields at 231-889-9666 or email@example.com.