Tree and Shrub Planting Presentation!
Friday, February 28th, 2020
Sherman Township Hall
3854 E. Main St., Fountain, MI 49410
This 2-hour presentation, given by the Manistee and Mason-Lake Conservation Districts, Forestry Assistance Program (FAP), and Michigan State University Extension, is designed for landowners AND professionals such as foresters, ecologists, and loggers, interested in planting trees and shrubs. Numerous topics will be discussed by Josh Shields, FAP Forester with the Manistee and Mason-Lake Conservation Districts, and Dave Jones, West Central Michigan Tree Fruit Extension Educator with Michigan State University Extension. Topics will include:
• matching tree and shrub species to the proper site conditions
• selecting fruit tree cultivars based on desired use of fruit, susceptibility to disease, and other factors
• site preparation and planting techniques
• pruning methods for fruit trees
• proper handling and care of seedlings and fruit trees
• containerized versus bareroot stock
• spring versus autumn planting
• protecting trees and shrubs from white-tailed deer and other animals
• the use of tree and shrub planting for timber production, wildlife habitat conversion and enhancement, planting of under-represented species, and erosion control
• tree planting experiment implemented by Josh Shields in 2015
This is a great presentation to attend to help you choose the correct trees and shrubs to purchase from the conservation district tree sale!
or this event, we have applied for Society of American Foresters continuing education credit and Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) Phase 1 education credit.
There is no cost for attending this event. Snacks will be provided free of charge.
A suggested minimum donation of $10/person is requested at the door to help offset costs of the eve
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 19th, 2020. For more information or to register, contact Josh Shields at 231-889-9666 or email@example.com; or Dani McGarry at 231-757-3707 ext. 5 or