This event has been canceled.
Invasive Species Workshop
March 28, 2020: 9 am – 12 pm
Join habitat experts from the Green Ribbon Initiative, the Monroe Conservation District, and other conservation partners as they guide us through identification, threats, and control methods of invasive plant species in southeast Michigan. The event will start indoors with educational presentations and end in the field with hands-on training as we help clear invasive shrubs from the native grasslands at Munson Park. Please dress accordingly. This event is free and open to the public. Participants will receive a complementary invasive species treatment starter kit.
Location: Munson Park – 2770 N. Custer Rd, Monroe, MI 48162
* Meet at the maintenance shed northwest of the ball fields. Use west entrance via Airport Road.
- Brian Yahn – Oak Openings Cooperative Weed Management Area Coordinator
- Taylor Myatt – MAEAP Technician, Monroe Conservation District
- Brad Willey – Parks Supervisor, City of Monroe Parks and Recreation
9:00 am: Indoor presentations
- What are invasive species and why do we care?
- Habitat planning and strategic invasive species management
- Control methods – burning, mowing, biological, chemical, and mechanical
- Identification and treatment of common invasive species
- Resources and assistance programs
10:45 am: Outdoor training & fieldwork
- Munson Park natural area overview
- Field ID and hands-on training
- Volunteer stewardship work in Munson Park natural area
12:00 pm: Adjourn